IS YOUR HOUSE READY FOR THE MARKET?
ARE YOU THINKING OF SELLING YOUR HOME? NOT QUITE SURE WHAT YOU NEED TO DO TO PREPARE YOUR HOME FOR POTENTIAL BUYERS? HERE’S A GUIDE TO HELP YOU GET STARTED!
✓ YOU’RE WANTING THE BUYER TO
ENVISION YOUR HOME AS THEIR
✓ YOU WANT YOUR HOME TO BE
INVITING, AND SHOW POTENTIAL TO A VARIETY OF INDIVIDUALS!
A clean and decluttered home shows potential buyers the house is well taken care of! Minor repairs and/or updates can go a long way. For finalizing touches adding pops of color, small pieces of furniture or decor can really meet the eye and make your house stand out!
- Wash windows inside and out (if applicable).
- Make sure furnace, A/C, and hot water heaters are all in working order, wipe down surrounding areas.
- Remove dust and cobwebs from walls, ceilings, and window sills.
- Sweep and clean floors.
- Declutter, box up and store, or remove any unnecessary items.
- Organize all areas: Workshop, garden/lawn equipment, game room, family areas, etc.
- Mow the lawn, weed-eat edges, trim trees, shrubs, etc. Fertilize and treat yard if necessary.
- Rake leaves, pull/treat weeds, and remove all dead vegetation.
- Store all tools and equipment in storage shed or garage.
- Clean off any yard or patio furniture.
- Wash all windows: Fix any leaks, re-caulk, remove mold, replace windows if applicable.
- Wash down house and remove spider webs, beehives, etc.
- Repair shingles, leaks in roof, shutters, siding, and fencing; Clean debris, and add fresh paint if necessary.
- Sweep sidewalks and driveways, repair any major cracks/potholes, clean up oil spills, fill in holes in the yard, and edge the lawn.
- Clean/replace all garage, shed and exterior doors.
FINISHING TOUCHES/READY FOR OPEN HOUSE
- Remove all pet hair, smoke, and odors.
- Update, repair or add mailbox; Add new house numbers, and doormats.
- Pick up after pets/children inside and out (if applicable).
- Remove all extra or broken–down vehicles, including any items in the front yard or walkway.
- Day showing: Create natural light, open curtains.
- Night showing: close curtains, turn on lamps and lights.
- Remove all unnecessary items to give buyers room to visualize their own items in the home.
- Add throw blankets and decorative pillows to furniture and beds.
- Add real or fake plants/flowers throughout points of the house such as: the kitchen, dining room, living room, and porch.
- Clean, deodorize, and spot clean all floors, carpets, and rugs.
- Wipe down all light fixtures, replace non-working bulbs, and clean vents.
- Patch walls and ceilings. Add fresh coat of paint.
- Rearrange furniture, discard worn furniture, and store any extra items.
- Declutter/organize walls, all furniture tops, bookshelves, and China cabinets.
- Remove hanging photos, piles of newspapers/magazines, etc.
- Add lamps if room doesn’t have overhead lights, or is darker than most.
- Clean vents, light fixtures, and replace non-working bulbs.
- Clean floors, and rugs under dining table (if applicable)
- Wipe down dining area, clean upholstery (if applicable)
- Rearrange furniture in a way that best fits the size and shape of the room.
- Patch and paint all walls and ceilings if necessary.
- Replace light bulbs on stove, refrigerator, and light fixtures (if applicable)
- Clean floors, ceiling vents, and window sills.
- Repair any broken/non-working cabinets, drawers, and cracks in the floors or counter tops.
- Repair any leaks or broken appliances.
- Clean all appliances inside and out, behind and under.
- Wipe down cabinets inside and out. Clean under the sinks and polish them.
- Air out, clean, and deodorize garbage area.
- Remove magnets and personal items from the fridge.
- Organize/declutter cupboards and counter tops.
- Remove extra utensils, mail accumulations, and dishes.
- Update floors, cabinets, counter tops, and appliances.
- Clean sinks, tubs, toilets shower heads, and faucets.
- Polish fixtures, and mirrors.
- Remove mold and residue.
- Touch up walls, ceilings, grout, caulk, and paint if necessary.
- Wash bathroom floor and clean rugs.
- Remove all unnecessary items from counter tops, medicine cabinets, behind toilets, linen closets and storage.
- Replace shower curtains, and towels.
- Update tubs, sinks, and toilets.
- Clean washer and dryer outside, and underneath.
- Remove clean and dirty laundry
- Store laundry detergents, dryer sheets, bleach, cleaning supplies, etc.
- Wipe down light fixtures, replace non-working bulbs, and clean vents.
- Patch any holes, paint walls (if applicable), and clean windows/sills.
- Clean, deodorize, and spot clean all carpets, rugs and floors.
- Rearrange furniture, store extra items, and declutter.
- Straight children’s toys, and store extras (if applicable).
- Make closets more appealing: Store seasonal clothing, organize shoes, declutter anything in boxes overhead, extra hangers, make sure all clothing is put away and stored neatly, dressers fully closed
- Add fresh bed sheets